3rd Annual LPG For Development Summit
24 September 2019, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
The LPG for Development Summit 2019 focused on the contribution of clean cooking fuels (particularly LPG and biogas) to sustainable development, with a special focus on improving health outcomes. The event built on successful prior LPG for Development conferences and events in Marrakech, Morocco where Rachel Kyte, CEO of Sustainable Energy for All keynoted, and Houston, Texas, USA. It also built on the outcomes from the first World Health Organization Global Conference on Air Pollution and Health held in 2018, in which the serious health impacts on and high levels of mortality of millions of households from the continued use of polluting biomass fuels for cooking was highlighted. This included calls for, and commitments to, stepped up public and private sector engagement and resources needed to help reach both UN SDG3 on health and SDG7 on modern energy access by 2030.
The Summit was hosted by GLPGP together with the World LPG Association, in cooperation with the 32nd World LPG Forum.
14.00 Welcome and introductions by WLPGA and representative of Government of the Netherlands: Carmen Hagenaars, Deputy Director, Inclusive Green Growth, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Netherlands
14.15 Keynote address by Kimball Chen, Chairman, GLPGP
14.40 Video address by Helena Molin Valdés, Head, Climate and Clean Air Coalition Secretariat
14.45 Panel Session 1: Clean Cooking Fuels for Women, Health & Development
Moderator: Simon Batchelor, Director, Gamos
· Alison Abbott, Communications Director, World LPG Association
· Frederik van Gemert, PhD Researcher at the University Medical Centre Groningen
· Harry Clemens, Programme Officer for Carbon Finance Green Society, Hivos
· Marcel Raats, Senior Advisor, RVO.NL
16.00 Coffee/Tea break.
16.15 Panel Session 2: Innovations in Clean Cooking Fuels for Scaled Development by 2030 - fuel, technology, finance
Moderator: Peter George, Clean Cooking Alliance
· Ron Bills, CEO, Envirofit
· Bessem Enonchong, Cameroon Country Director, Global LPG Partnership
· Wanjiku Manyara, General Manager, Petroleum Institute of East Africa
· Wim van Nes, Global Sector Coordinator for Energy, SNV
· Frank van der Vleuten, Senior Renewable Energy Advisor, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Netherlands
17.30 Closing remarks and summary of the day.
Check back soon for key discussion outcomes from the Summit.